Wednesday, December 23, 2015

A season of mixed feelings

It would be self-indulgent of me to post photos of all the cookies. Here's a selection though:

Shortbread cookies, extreme left and extreme right; next to them on the left: ultimate ginger, top and chocolate chubbies, bottom; next to the shortbread on the right: fruchtplätzchen, top and snickerdoodles, bottom. The cookies right down the middle are orange/currant/polenta.

I made the chocolate and the fruchtplätzchen. Dan made all the rest.

I made some traditional Acadian meat pies:

And some cranberries in orange juice and bourbon;

And mince pie.

These are all good things.

A couple of days ago, in some kind of exchange with my son, I spoke sharply and impatiently.

"You don't have to be angry, Mum," he said.

"Of course I do," I said. "It's Christmas."

I made it into a little joke but it's well-known that Christmas is a hard time for many people and in many households, there's no shortage of anger. It can bring out the worst in families.

If it's a hard time for you, I hope there will be some redeeming factors and some part of it for you to enjoy.

And if there isn't — well, hang in there. By this time next week, it will all be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment